SVP, Infrastructure and Operations
Phil’s responsibility progressively increased from architecture, middleware software development, and application support to ultimately include all corporate technology operations. The Macy’s infrastructure supported $25 billion in sales, 200,000 users, and over 1,000 locations including more than a dozen sites overseas.
In recognition of his leadership role, Phil was selected to represent Macy’s on the National Retail Federation CIO Council from 2004 – 2007.
- Led an organizational and cultural change among the 500 employees in IT operations. Over a period of three years, multiple operations groups were transformed into a high-performance team that provided better service for Macy’s with fewer people. Improved morale and customer satisfaction through a comprehensive change strategy.
- Significantly improved operational availability with improved systems management infrastructure, operational dashboards, and the ITIL operations framework. Partnered with development teams to implement CMMI. This resulted in faster system development while allowing us to leverage internal and outsourced resources.
- Reduced the cost of operations through the aggressive use of standards, automation, and new technology as well as on-shore and off-shore outsourcing.
- Partnered for success in the acquisition, development, deployment, and support of corporate and ERP applications, which included: PeopleSoft, advertising, merchandising, logistics, point of sale, and others.
- Integrated the technology infrastructure in support of multiple corporate acquisitions and mergers, concluding with the on-time and on-budget integration of the May Company with Macy’s to form the largest department store company in the US.
- With his team of Division Service Managers, Phl served as the liaison between the technology division and the rest of the corporation to ensure alignment of strategy and priorities.
- With responsibility for technical security, the team achieved Sarbanes-Oxley (SOX) and Payment Card Industry (PCI) compliance.